Palestinians should defer agency bids: UN`s Ban
Cannes: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon says Palestinian efforts to join other United Nations agencies beyond its cultural arm is "not beneficial for Palestine and not beneficial for anybody."
Ban said "millions and millions" of people could be affected if UN agencies see their funding cut as a result of the Palestinian bids. He spoke Thursday with The Associated Press on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Cannes.
The United States and Canada have cut off funding for UNESCO because the Paris-based UN cultural agency approved a Palestinian membership bid — stripping it of about one-quarter of its total funding.
The UN chief says the Palestinian Authority`s foreign minister has indicated that it will apply for membership in the 16 other UN specialized agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali