Palestinians should defer agency bids: UN`s Ban
Cannes: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon says Palestinian efforts to join other United Nations agencies beyond its cultural arm is "not beneficial for Palestine and not beneficial for anybody."
Ban said "millions and millions" of people could be affected if UN agencies see their funding cut as a result of the Palestinian bids. He spoke Thursday with The Associated Press on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Cannes.
The United States and Canada have cut off funding for UNESCO because the Paris-based UN cultural agency approved a Palestinian membership bid — stripping it of about one-quarter of its total funding.
The UN chief says the Palestinian Authority`s foreign minister has indicated that it will apply for membership in the 16 other UN specialized agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown