Palestinians should defer agency bids: UN`s Ban
Cannes: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon says Palestinian efforts to join other United Nations agencies beyond its cultural arm is "not beneficial for Palestine and not beneficial for anybody."
Ban said "millions and millions" of people could be affected if UN agencies see their funding cut as a result of the Palestinian bids. He spoke Thursday with The Associated Press on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Cannes.
The United States and Canada have cut off funding for UNESCO because the Paris-based UN cultural agency approved a Palestinian membership bid — stripping it of about one-quarter of its total funding.
The UN chief says the Palestinian Authority`s foreign minister has indicated that it will apply for membership in the 16 other UN specialized agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP