Palestinians should defer agency bids: UN`s Ban
Cannes: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon says Palestinian efforts to join other United Nations agencies beyond its cultural arm is "not beneficial for Palestine and not beneficial for anybody."
Ban said "millions and millions" of people could be affected if UN agencies see their funding cut as a result of the Palestinian bids. He spoke Thursday with The Associated Press on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Cannes.
The United States and Canada have cut off funding for UNESCO because the Paris-based UN cultural agency approved a Palestinian membership bid — stripping it of about one-quarter of its total funding.
The UN chief says the Palestinian Authority`s foreign minister has indicated that it will apply for membership in the 16 other UN specialized agencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- US government seeks ban on swimming with Hawaii dolphins
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton exchange angry charges of racism
- Hospitals won`t bill Florida nightclub shooting victims
- New Syrian rebel advance against IS may take months, commander says
- Hundreds challenge human pyramid limits at Indian Hindu festival