Palestinian`s UN recognition quest on hold
Ramallah (West Bank): The Palestinian foreign minister says the Palestinians are putting their quest for international recognition at the UN on hold for now.
Foreign Minister Riad Malki says President Mahmoud Abbas has decided not to apply at the General Assembly session next month, although he will informally appeal for recognition in a speech.
The decision stands in contrast to last year, when the Palestinians asked the Security Council to admit them as a full member state.
That bid failed in the council. Since then, they have said they will apply to the General Assembly for lesser "nonmember state" status.
Analysts expect the Palestinians to resume their campaign after the US presidential election.
Malki spoke Tuesday from Tehran, where he was attending a summit of non-aligned nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days