Palestinians will submit UN membership letter
New York: The Palestinians say they will submit a letter formally requesting UN membership after Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas addresses the UN General Assembly on Friday.
Any candidate for UN membership must first submit a letter to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stating it is a "peace-loving" state and accepts the UN Charter.
Riyad Mansour, the Palestinian UN observer, told reporters after Abbas met Ban that the Palestinian leader would submit the letter after his speech to the 193-member General Assembly.
Ban is expected to examine the letter and then send it to the UN Security Council which must give its approval before an assembly vote. The US has said it will veto the membership bid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video