Pamplona bull-running winds up after sending 50 to hospital
Pamplona (Spain): Spain`s Pamplona bull-running fiesta wrapped up today with another five seriously injured, including an Australian woman who was gored, after nine days that landed a total of 50 daredevils in hospital.
Nearly half of those were seriously hurt yesterday when the run in the northern Spanish town resulted in a bloody human pile-up that got trampled by the half-tonne bulls, sending 23 revellers to hospital.
As on each of the last eight mornings, a firework set off today`s mad dash through Pamplona`s cobbled streets of six bulls and six steers as well as hundreds of thrill-seekers, many dressed in traditional white with a red neckerchief.
The animals will be killed by matadors in the final bullfight of the nine-day San Fermin festival.
The early morning bull runs are the highlight of the fiesta, which was immortalised in Ernest Hemingway`s classic 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises" and now draws hundreds of thousands of tourists each year.
The regional government said five runners were hospitalised today including a 23-year-old Australian woman with a gore wound.
During Friday`s run, bulls gored three men including a 20-year-old American.
Each year, hundreds of people are treated by medics and the Red Cross at the scene for cuts and scrapes without being hospitalised.
Fifteen people have been killed in the bull runs since records began in 1911. The most recent death was four years ago when a bull gored a 27-year-old Spaniard in the neck, heart and lungs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak