Panchen Lama steps out of mainland China
Beijing: Panchen Lama, being groomed by China to rival exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, Wednesday stepped out of the Chinese mainland for the first time to attend an international Buddhist conference in Hong Kong.
The 11th Panchen Lama Bainqen Erdini Qoigyijabu will attend the grand blessing ceremony for Lord Buddha`s parietal-bone relic flown to Hong Kong today from Chinese city Nanjing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The 22-year-old Lama will address the China-backed three-day World Buddhist Forum at Hong Kong beginning today.
His presence in Hong Kong, a Special Administrative Region of China, is seen as an attempt by Beijing to raise his profile as this is for the first time the young spiritual leader went out of the Chinese mainland.
Jiang Jianyong, vice chairman of the China Religious Culture Communication Association said as an "important religious leader of Tibetan Buddhism and vice chairman of the Buddhist Association of China, the 11th Panchen Lama is highly respected and strongly supported by religious circles and religious believers".
He has attended the previous two world Buddhist forums held in Chinese cities Hangzhou in 2006 and Wuxi in 2009.
Monks and scholars from more than 50 countries and regions will attend the event to discuss the propagation of Dharma teachings and the protection of Buddhist scriptures, as well as exchange ideas on the development of Buddhist education and the promotion of Buddhist charitable efforts, the report said.
China, is nurturing Panchen Lama, regarded in Tibetan Buddhist hierarchy as the second most important spiritual leader after the Dalai Lama, 76.
Beijing has repeatedly accused the Dalai Lama of trying to split Tibet from China, a charge he denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video