Panetta calls North Korea nuke test ‘serious threat` to US
London: Outgoing Pentagon chief Leon Panetta has said that North Korean military ambitions are a ‘serious threat’ to the US.
Panetta likened the North to Iran, describing them as "rogue states".
In a farewell speech at the Pentagon, Panetta said the US would continue to be tested by unpredictable regimes in years to come, the BBC reports.
He said that the ‘US is going to have to deal with weapons of mass destruction and the proliferation.’
Panetta’s remarks in a speech made after Pyongyang carried out its third nuclear test on Tuesday.
In New York, the UN Security Council ‘strongly condemned’ the nuclear test.
The council said it would begin work on measures against North Korea, after UN chief Ban Ki-moon said the test was a "clear and grave violation,” the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH