Panetta demotes US general for lavish travel and spending
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has demoted a former head of the Africa command on charges of lavish travel and spending.
General William Ward, former Commander of US Africa Command, would now be retired at the grade of Lieutenant General, the Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said yesterday while informing reporters on the decision taken by Panetta in this regard.
"The Department of the Army will also seek to recoup roughly USD 82,000 in expenses stemming from General Ward`s misconduct in travel, misuse of military aircraft, misuse of staff, and the receipt of reimbursements to which he was not entitled," he said.
In June, the Department of Defence Inspector General issued a report of investigation substantiating that General Ward had engaged in numerous substantiated acts of misconduct related to misuse of government funds during his tenure as Commander of US Africa Command.
Since departing US Africa Command, by operation of law General Ward reverted to the grade of Major General and is currently serving as a Special Assistant to the Army Vice Chief of Staff in that grade.
"Panetta insists that leaders within the Department of Defence exemplify both professional excellence and sound judgement," Little said, adding that Panetta is committed to ensuring that any improprieties or misconduct by senior officers are dealt with swiftly and appropriately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi