Panetta in Beijing amid escalating Sino-Japan tensions
Beijing: US Defence Secretary, Leon Panetta arrived here Monday from Tokyo amid an escalating conflict between China and Japan over a group of disputed islands.
During his four-day stay, Panetta will hold talks with his Chinese counterpart Liang Guanglie.
He is also slated to deliver a speech at the Armed Force Engineering Institute in Beijing and visit a naval facility in east China`s city of Qingdao.
The Chinese Defence ministry said that the two militaries will conduct exchanges regarding their bilateral contact mechanism and military academies, as well as hold joint anti-piracy maritime exercises.
Most importantly, he is coming from Tokyo where he held extensive talks with Japanese leaders on the deteriorating ties between China and Japan over the Diaoyu islands, called Senkaku isles by Japan.
China has launched a barrage of measures against Tokyo, after Japan bought the islands from a private Japanese party last week, while Chinese took to streets to protest the Japanese take over.
Panetta has been advocating restraint by both the sides.
"I am concerned that when these countries engage in provocations of one kind or another over these various islands, that it raises the possibility that a misjudgement on one side or the other could result in violence, and could result in conflict," Panetta told reporters travelling on his plane.
"And that conflict would then have the potential of expanding".
It is not yet clear whether he is carrying any peace plan from Japan to end the crisis.
China meanwhile said US should not extend the US-Japanese Defence Treaty to the island`s dispute.
Asked about the US stand over the islands, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei told the media that "we hope that US side earnestly honour the principles of not taking a stand on the Diaoyu islands issue".
Meanwhile, Chinese protest demonstrations against Japan over disputed islands took an ugly turn with protesters attacking some of the top Japanese firms including Panasonic and Canon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan