Panetta not to quit Obama Cabinet right now
Washington: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta Tuesday said he is not quiting the Obama Cabinet for now and his main focus is to address the all the current security related challenges, including the issue of Afghanistan.
His comments came as media reports were claiming that he might not be interested in holding this top Pentagon position as US President Barack Obama begins his second term next year.
"Right now, my goal is to basically meet my responsibilities in terms of dealing with those issues and that`s the most important focus I have right now," Panetta told reporters travelling with him on his three-nation tour of the Asia Pacific region.
The Defence Secretary was responding to questions on news reports that he is planning to go back to California. "You know it`s no secret that, at some point, I`d like to get back to California. It`s my home and we have our institute," he said.
"But there are a lot of challenges right now with regards to defence issues in Washington, sequestration, budget issues, issues related to planning on Afghanistan and I think the President and I are working very closely to make sure that we meet those defence challenges," he said.
"Who the hell know?" Panetta said when asked "you don`t intend to stay for four years, then?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?