Papua New Guinea man eats son
Brisbane: A man in a Papua New Guinea mining town was caught by residents allegedly eating his screaming, newborn son during a sorcery initiation ceremony.
Police said locals on the outskirts of the town of Tabubil, in Western Province, woke to the screams of the baby and saw the man, who has a history of drug abuse, allegedly eating his own child.
The angry mob chased the man to the police station where he was detained after a short struggle.
Unfortunately it was too late to save the baby, who died of his injuries.
Tabubil police commander Demas Tapea said officers had detained a man and his wife to assist them with their inquiries.
“It is a very disturbing incident. The community is upset, angry but there is also a lot of fear and anxiety because there is a belief in sorcery or witchcraft,” the Brisbane Times quoted Sergeant Tapea as saying.
“Locals are saying the man was carrying out a sorcery ritual, or initiation, to become part of some sort of special society.”
“The suspect has a long history of drug abuse and we are not surprised something like this has happened.”
“A few years ago, he went crazy in what we believe was due to the effects of drugs,” he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter