Papua New Guinea man eats son
Brisbane: A man in a Papua New Guinea mining town was caught by residents allegedly eating his screaming, newborn son during a sorcery initiation ceremony.
Police said locals on the outskirts of the town of Tabubil, in Western Province, woke to the screams of the baby and saw the man, who has a history of drug abuse, allegedly eating his own child.
The angry mob chased the man to the police station where he was detained after a short struggle.
Unfortunately it was too late to save the baby, who died of his injuries.
Tabubil police commander Demas Tapea said officers had detained a man and his wife to assist them with their inquiries.
“It is a very disturbing incident. The community is upset, angry but there is also a lot of fear and anxiety because there is a belief in sorcery or witchcraft,” the Brisbane Times quoted Sergeant Tapea as saying.
“Locals are saying the man was carrying out a sorcery ritual, or initiation, to become part of some sort of special society.”
“The suspect has a long history of drug abuse and we are not surprised something like this has happened.”
“A few years ago, he went crazy in what we believe was due to the effects of drugs,” he stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- India set to get MTCR membership, NSG option remains open: MEA
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva