Parade marks Queen Elizabeth II`s birthday
London: Queen Elizabeth II is celebrating her birthday with traditional pomp and circumstance but without her husband by her side.
Prince Philip remains in the hospital, recovering from exploratory abdominal surgery. The queen invited her cousin, the Duke of Kent, to accompany her in a vintage carriage. Other royals including Prince Harry and the Duchess of Cambridge joined in the celebration on Saturday.
More than 1,000 soldiers, horses and musicians are taking part in the parade known as "Trooping the Color," an annual ceremony marking the queen`s official birthday.
The monarch`s actual birthday was on April 21, when she turned 87. The ceremony originates from traditional battle preparations, when "colors," which refer to military flags, were carried down the rank to be seen by soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31