Paris airport tests `virtual` boarding agents
Orly: An airport in France is
experimenting with "virtual" boarding agents in a bid to jazz
up its terminals with 21st century avatars who always smile,
don`t need breaks and never go on strike.
The pilot project at Paris` Orly airport began last month,
and has so far been met with a mix of amusement and surprise
by travellers, who frequently try to touch and speak with the
strikingly life-like video images that greet them and direct
them to their boarding gate.
The images materialise seemingly out of thin air when a
boarding agent, a real live human, presses a button to signal
the start of boarding.
They are actually being rear-projected onto a human shaped
silhouette made of plexiglass. Three actual airport boarding
agents were filmed in a studio to create the illusion, which
the airport hopes will be more eye-catching and easier for
passengers to understand than traditional electronic display
"Bonjour! I invite you to go to your boarding gate. Paris
Airports wishes you a bon voyage," the image appears to say,
while the name of the destination flashes in front of him.
Airport authority AdP came up with the idea for what it
calls "2-D holograms" earlier this year, when it was
brainstorming ways to modernise Hall 40, one of the dozens of
boarding gates at Paris` second airport, south of the capital.
"Children like it, it`s fun. They`re attracted to it and
try to play with it," said Didier Leroy, the airport`s
director of operations. "There`s finally very few who find it
useless or just a gizmo."
The technology behind the images was developed by a Paris
audiovisual marketing agency, L`Oeil du Chat. Similar virtual
agents are in place in airports in London and Manchester since
earlier this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged