Paris attacks link not yet established: Minister
Germany's interior minister said on Saturday that authorities have not yet established any link between a man arrested last week with a car-load of weapons and gunmen in Paris.
Berlin: Germany's interior minister said on Saturday that authorities have not yet established any link between a man arrested last week with a car-load of weapons and gunmen in Paris.
"There is a link to France, but it is unclear if there is a link to the attacks," said Thomas de Maiziere, adding that investigations are ongoing.
De Maiziere said that navigation systems that were found show "an address in Paris".
Police had arrested the man on November 5 during a routine check on a motorway, saying "many machine guns, revolvers and explosives" were found in the suspect's vehicle.
Earlier today, state premier Horst Seehofer said that there was "reason to believe" that the suspect was linked to the attackers, and that the case "shows how important it is for us to have some clarity on who is in our country and who is travelling through our country."
He reiterated his call for reinforced controls at Europe's external borders as well as at each European country's national border.
Alarmed by a record influx of asylum seekers in Germany, Seehofer has been pushing for a halt to Chancellor Angela Merkel's open-door policy for those fleeing war.
Focus Online reported that the arrested suspect was from Montenegro and that he has refused to speak in prison and not hired a lawyer to defend him.
France was in a nationwide state of emergency after a night of horror in Paris when gunmen sprayed restaurants with bullets, massacred scores of concert-goers and launched suicide attacks near the national stadium.