Paris bans pro-Palestinian protest after recent violence
Paris: French police have banned a protest against Israel`s Gaza offensive that was due to take place in Paris today, following several similar rallies that turned violent.
The ban, announced by police yesterday, comes in the wake of clashes earlier this month at pro-Palestinian demonstrations, in which some protesters shouted anti-Semitic slogans and fought with police.
Two of those rallies had been banned but went ahead anyway. Following yesterday`s announcement, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve appealed on organisers to cancel the rally.
"I urge the organisers to abandon the event on Saturday," he told AFP, accusing them of taking a "high-risk path" if they went ahead.
But a lawyer representing the organisers of the rally said they had lodged a legal challenge against the ruling.
"The government is trying to ban a fundamental right," said Omar Alsoumi, an organiser of the protest and member of the Palestinian Youth movement.
The administrative court in Paris threw out the appeal, meaning that the ban remained in place, a legal source said.
On Wednesday, several thousand people protested peacefully in Paris against the Israeli offensive in Gaza.
Police said the rally attracted about 14,500 people, while organisers put the figure at 25,000. The government, which had banned the prior protests seeking to restrain what it called anti-Semitic radicals, authorised the march after its organisers gave "security guarantees."
Israel`s offensive in Gaza, which is in its 18th day, has killed almost 850 Palestinians and 33 Israelis. The conflict has stirred up huge passions in France -- home to the largest Muslim and Jewish communities in western Europe with around five million Muslims and half a million Jews.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read