Paris gun attack: Suspected shooter Abdelhakim Dekhar arrested
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
Paris: French police on Wednesday finally managed a breakthrough in their pursuit of the elusive `mystery shooter` who had been on the run since Monday`s shooting incident.
French authorities were reported by the BBC as claiming that the arrested man, Abdelhakim Dekhar, was the prime suspect who shot at the office of French newspaper, Liberation, seriously injuring a 23-year-old photographer on Monday.
His DNA matched samples from the scenes of the attacks, officials said.
"All the evidence today points to his involvement in the events that he has been charged with," Interior Minister Manuel Valls said.
French media had reported that the gunman was probably the same man who broke into the Paris offices of the 24-hour news channel BFMTV last Friday.
Dekhar was arrested from a stationary car in an underground car park in Bois-Colombes, north-west of Paris, at 1800 hours GMT following a tip-off from a member of the public.
Unconfirmed reports suggest he could have tried to commit suicide as they found some capsules from the car and Dekhar was not very lucid when taken into custody.
Victim`s condition is reportedly stable in the hospital and he has regained consciousness.
Dekhar, who is in his late 40s, was convicted in 1998 of buying a gun used in an October 1994 shooting attack by student Florence Rey and her lover Audry Maupin. Three policemen, a taxi driver and Maupin himself were killed in a case that shook France.
He served four years in jail for his role in the killings, and his former lawyers have described him as "enigmatic" and "strange".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium