Park Geun-hye becomes South Korean President
Seoul: Park Geun-hye of the Saenuri party becomes the first women President of South Korea by defeating Moon Jae-in of the Democratic United Party.
It is a historic victory for Park who is the daughter of former dictator Park Chung-hee.
Though the voting is not complete, it is clear that Park has got enough votes and Moon has conceded defeat.
Talking to journalists she said that this is the victory of people’s hope and she will get the country out of all turbulence.
Earlier today South Koreans came out in good numbers to vote for their candidate.
It was a national holiday in South Korea. Polls opened at 2100 GMT and were to close at 0900 GMT.
The contest was considered to be neck to neck and it is considered to be a slim victory for Park.
For all their differences, Moon, who was Roh`s former chief of staff, and Park, who belongs to Lee`s party, hold remarkably similar views on the need to engage with Pyongyang and other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire