Parliament Speaker owns up in British expenses row
London: Britain`s Parliament Speaker is to
repay nearly 1,000 pounds in wrongly claimed expenses, he said
today as Prime Minister Gordon Brown again spoke out about the
John Bercow, who took over the House of Commons role in
June after his predecessor resigned amid a political storm
over expenses, said he was paying back the money after
discovering an "accidental overclaim."
"In November 2008 I made an accidental overclaim of
978.51 pounds (about USD 1,600)," he said, adding the mistake
was to do with mortgage payments and he was sending a cheque
for the amount before being asked to do.
In May, The Daily Telegraph newspaper started revealing
how MPs spent taxpayers` money on everything from a duck
island to gardening, triggering a wave of resignations
including then House of Commons speaker Michael Martin, the
first holder of the post to be forced out in 300 years.
The story is making headlines again because ex-civil
servant Thomas Legg -- appointed to audit MPs` expenses from
the last five years -- has just written to them after their
return to work this week, telling many to pay money back.
Legg has recommended a retrospective annual cap of 2,000
pounds for cleaning and 1,000 pounds for gardening at second
homes. Lawmakers are allowed to claim expenses for homes near
parliament in London plus in their constituencies.
Bercow said he was acting of his own initiative in paying
back the wrongly claimed cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray