Parole for Israeli soldier who shot British activist: Media
Jerusalem: An Israeli soldier jailed for
killing a British activist in the Gaza Strip will be released
after serving six-and-a-half years of an eight-year sentence,
media reported on Monday.
Sergeant Taysir Wahid was convicted of manslaughter for
killing Briton Tom Hurndall, an activist with the
pro-Palestinian International Solidarity Movement.
A military court ordered Wahid freed next month,
accepting his lawyers claim that he deserved to have his
sentence reduced for good behaviour, the Ynet news website
The army had no immediate comment.
The prosecution had argued that releasing the soldier
early would harm Israel`s diplomatic ties with Britain, Ynet
Hurndall, then 22, was shot in the head in the Rafah
refugee camp in April 2003. He died in January 2004 in a
London hospital after spending nine months in a persistent
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror