Partial Tunisia results: Islamist party has 44%
Tunis: Authorities say the latest results from Tunisia`s landmark elections indicate the moderate Islamist party is holding onto its lead, taking at least 44 percent of seats counted so far for an assembly tasked with writing a new Constitution.
The results of Sunday`s vote are being closely watched since Tunisia`s popular uprising early this year set off a wave of revolts across the Arab world.
The country`s election authority said late Wednesday that the Ennahda party has won 54 of the 123 seats announced. The assembly is to have 217 seats.
The party has begun reaching out to rivals about forming a coalition in case it doesn`t win an outright majority.
Authorities said they`ve been slow in announcing results because they`re taking extra care with the counting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley