Partial Tunisia results: Islamist party has 44%
Tunis: Authorities say the latest results from Tunisia`s landmark elections indicate the moderate Islamist party is holding onto its lead, taking at least 44 percent of seats counted so far for an assembly tasked with writing a new Constitution.
The results of Sunday`s vote are being closely watched since Tunisia`s popular uprising early this year set off a wave of revolts across the Arab world.
The country`s election authority said late Wednesday that the Ennahda party has won 54 of the 123 seats announced. The assembly is to have 217 seats.
The party has begun reaching out to rivals about forming a coalition in case it doesn`t win an outright majority.
Authorities said they`ve been slow in announcing results because they`re taking extra care with the counting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video