Party youth leader killed in northeast Nigeria
Maiduguri: Gunmen suspected of being members of a radical Islamic sect shot dead a political party youth leader in northeast Nigeria on Sunday, less than a week before elections begin in Africa`s most populous nation.
The local politician was a member of the opposition All Nigeria People`s Party, which has localised support in parts of the north of the country but is not expected to gain the widespread backing needed to win the presidential vote.
The police said they believed the killing was carried out by members of Boko Haram, a radical Islamic group behind months of unrest and targeted religious killings, mostly in the northeast around Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.
"The killers had come on their motorbikes in their usual manner before shooting their victim on the head and chest," said Mohammed Abubakar, Police Commissioner of Borno state.
Boko Haram, whose name means "Western education is sinful", launched an uprising in 2009 in which hundreds of people were killed and has increasingly targeted politicians in its attacks.
The sect wants sharia, Islamic law, more widely applied across Nigeria but its views are not espoused by most of the country`s Muslim population, the largest in sub-Saharan Africa.
Parliamentary Elections will be held in Nigeria on April 02, the presidential poll is a week later and voters will elect governors in the country`s 36 states on April 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31