Passenger ferry hijacked in northwest Turkey
Istanbul: At least one assailant claiming to have a bomb hijacked a passenger ferry carrying 21 people in northwest Turkey on Friday, local officials said.
Coastguard vessels were tracking the ferry east of Istanbul, they said. Kocaeli Governor Ercan Topaca said there were 17 passengers and four crew on the "Kartepe" ferry which was travelling between Izmit and Golcuk in the Gulf of Izmit when it was hijacked around 5.45 pm (1545 GMT).
Some reports said there was only one hijacker but others said there were four or five assailants who had overpowered the captain of the ferry and seized passengers` mobile phones.
It was unclear who was behind the hijacking but broadcaster NTV reported a claim that an assailant said he was a member of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militant group.
Three coastguards and a helicopter were following the 400-passenger capacity ferry, CNN Turk reported.
Kurdish, leftist and Islamic militants are all active in Turkey, but hijackings are rare. More than 40,000 people have been killed in the PKK insurgency since the group took up arms against the state in 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India