Passenger plane skids off runway in Indonesia
Manokwari, Indonesia: A jet carrying about 100 passengers skidded off the runway into a shallow river as it landed in Indonesia on Tuesday, injuring some 20 people, officials said.
The Merpati airline Boeing 737 broke into pieces as it bounced off the tarmac at Rendani domestic airport in Manokwari, West Papua, director general of civil aviation Herry Bhakti Singayuda told.
"It skidded off the runway and part of its body landed in a river," he said, referring to a shallow waterway about 200 metres (600 feet) from the runway.
"All 103 passengers and six crew members are safe. Some are injured. They have been rushed to hospital."
Bad weather including heavy rain and fog were suspected of playing a part in the crash, he said, although expert investigators had yet to arrive at the scene.
Manokwari Hospital emergency unit nurse Benget Hutagalung said "about 20" people had been brought in with shattered limbs and head injuries. Witnesses said the left wing broke off as the plane hurtled into trees at the end of the runway.
The body of the plane came to rest with the tail section in the river and the cockpit almost sheered off. The plane was flying a domestic route from Sorong, also in West Papua province, to Manokwari, a distance of about 340 kilometres (210 miles).
Transport Ministry experts from the capital Jakarta were on their way to the rugged province in the far east of the country to investigate the crash, an official said.
The vast archipelago of Indonesia relies heavily on air transport but has one of Asia`s worst air safety records.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray