Passport map row: ‘Territories belong to China’
Beijing: A state-run Chinese daily Tuesday cited scholars as saying that a passport map row with neighbours, including India, does not change the fact that the disputed territories belong to China.
An article in the Global Times said Vietnam`s immigration authorities are issuing separate visa sheets to new Chinese passport holders instead of stamping directly on visa pages, after Beijing issued new passports that include a map of territories also claimed by other countries.
The map lays claim of China to the maritime sovereignty in the South China seas. But Vietnam is refusing to accept this.
On Saturday, the Indian embassy in Beijing began stamping new Chinese passports with a map showing a border territory disputed by the two countries as claimed by India, the daily reported.
This May, China started issuing the new passport that contain an electronic chip, which includes the holder`s fingerprints, signature and photographs.
The 48-page passport not only uses scenery as background for many pages, but also includes a map of China.
The daily cited scholars as saying that the episode does not change the fact that the disputed territories belong to China, nor does it mean that China plans to solve the disputes by issuing a new passport.
"The on-going passport row can be solved via diplomatic channels. After all, it is not possible to suspend Sino-foreign personnel exchanges due to this episode," Zhao Gancheng, an expert at the Shanghai Institute for International Studies, told the Global Times Monday.
Since tensions over territorial disputes with neighbouring countries in the South China Sea and East China Sea escalated in the past year, China has adopted a series of measures to strengthen its hold on these areas, the media report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof