Paul Ryan brings mom on stage; Medicare in focus
Washington: Republican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan brought his mother with him as he defended his Medicare plan before the nation’s largest senior citizens community at a campaign in Florida.
Ryan trotted out his mother Betty as the best reason for adopting his plan, which alters Medicare.
“Medicare was there for our family, for my grandma when we needed it now, and Medicare is there for my mom when she needs it now," New York Daily News quoted Ryan, as saying.
“It’s not just a program, it’s not just a bunch of numbers, it’s what my mom relies on,” Ryan said.
According to the report, the transformation of Medicare is the most controversial component of Ryan’s spending-slashing budget plan. It would replace the current system with vouchers, which critics believe will drive up the cost of health care, and leave some seniors without the coverage they need, the report said.
“Medicare should not be used as a piggybank for Obamacare,” Ryan said.
According to the report, the Democrats have pushed back on that accusation, saying that the savings produced by Obamacare will not only repay Medicare, but fund it well into the future.
The Villages, which is home to more than 60,000 seniors, is owned by Gary Morse, a major Romney donor, and Republican residents outnumber Democrats by more than two-to-one, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore