Paul Ryan’s ex-girlfriend spent 5 months in prison
London: Republican vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan’s African-American college sweetheart has spent time in prison for wire fraud, it has emerged.
Deneeta Pope, who hit headlines after she revealed that she was Ryan’s ex-girlfriend, served five months in prison after defrauding her employer Ernst & Young out of USD 77,000 in 1999, according to the federal Bureau of Prisons.
The former cheerleader was indicted by a grand jury in November 1999, two years after which she pleaded guilty to faking receipts and expense claims in order to steal tens of thousands of dollars.
In the revelation that made headlines, Pope revealed that she met the future vice presidential candidate through friends at Miami University some 20 years ago.
“Paul is a very nice guy, a kind guy and a family guy. He`s very approachable and a very likeable person,” Pope told MailOnline.
Michael Steel, campaign spokesman for Ryan, has confirmed to that ``Mr Ryan dated Ms Pope in college`` in the 1990s.
In a 2005 interview, Mitt Romney’s future running mate had reportedly said that he had been confronted with racism personally, because he had dated an African-American and also had a brother with a black wife.
Ryan has stayed in touch with his ex over the two decades since they broke up, and even attended Pope`s wedding in May this year, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song