Peaceful solution to Syria crisis unlikely: Hague
London: British Foreign Secretary William Hague has described the situation in Syria as "bleak" and said that a peaceful solution to the 17-month-long crisis was now unlikely, according to the Telegraph.
Hague said it had proved impossible to persuade Russia and China to back international efforts to find a diplomatic path to peace in the Middle East country.
He did not rule out suggestions that former British prime minister Tony Blair could replace Kofi Annan as the UN envoy to Syria.
"It is a bleak time for Syria. This is, I`m afraid, the situation we warned about for some time. We won`t give up on the diplomatic work but given the situation we will of course step up our humanitarian assistance," Hague told Sky News.
"We don`t want the situation to be resolved by violence. We want a peaceful transition in Syria. Sadly, we do not have the unity in the UN Security Council to put the decisive pressure on the Assad regime."
"Kofi Annan will be carrying on with this work until the end of August. Whoever takes on that role, it is going to need some change in the circumstances on the ground for Russia and China to change their position."
"If persuasion and argument was going to achieve a change of position, we would have done it by now. It might only be a further change of the circumstances - the further collapse of the regime, greater bloodshed - which brings Russia and China to change their mind," Hague said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'