Peaceful solution to Syria crisis unlikely: Hague
London: British Foreign Secretary William Hague has described the situation in Syria as "bleak" and said that a peaceful solution to the 17-month-long crisis was now unlikely, according to the Telegraph.
Hague said it had proved impossible to persuade Russia and China to back international efforts to find a diplomatic path to peace in the Middle East country.
He did not rule out suggestions that former British prime minister Tony Blair could replace Kofi Annan as the UN envoy to Syria.
"It is a bleak time for Syria. This is, I`m afraid, the situation we warned about for some time. We won`t give up on the diplomatic work but given the situation we will of course step up our humanitarian assistance," Hague told Sky News.
"We don`t want the situation to be resolved by violence. We want a peaceful transition in Syria. Sadly, we do not have the unity in the UN Security Council to put the decisive pressure on the Assad regime."
"Kofi Annan will be carrying on with this work until the end of August. Whoever takes on that role, it is going to need some change in the circumstances on the ground for Russia and China to change their position."
"If persuasion and argument was going to achieve a change of position, we would have done it by now. It might only be a further change of the circumstances - the further collapse of the regime, greater bloodshed - which brings Russia and China to change their mind," Hague said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video