`Peak Putin` vote delayed
Moscow: The naming of "Peak Vladimir
Putin" in honour of the Russian prime minister will be delayed
for a while as Kyrgyzstan`s Parliament on Tuesday postponed the
crucial vote on christening of the mountain.
Prime Minister Almazbek Atambayev had tabled a bill in
Parliament of the Central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan to name
an unnamed mountain in Tian-Shan range after Putin.
The former Soviet republic’s parliament today
postponed the vote on naming a mountain after the Russian
strongman, state-run RIA Novosti news agency reported, without
giving the reason for delaying the vote.
The 4,446 metres high peak in Chui Province is located
near the border with Kazakhstan.
Putin already has a street in Grozny named after him,
and a patriotic youth movement in Chechnya also bears his
name, media report said.
Earlier in 2002, Kyrgyzstan had named a 3,500 metres
mountain peak after former Russian President Boris Yeltsin
to honour him for role in deepening the friendly relations
between Moscow and Bishkek.
Its highest 7,134 meter mountain is named Lenin Peak.
Kyrgyzstan also has a mountain named after Santa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India