`Peak Putin` vote delayed
Moscow: The naming of "Peak Vladimir
Putin" in honour of the Russian prime minister will be delayed
for a while as Kyrgyzstan`s Parliament on Tuesday postponed the
crucial vote on christening of the mountain.
Prime Minister Almazbek Atambayev had tabled a bill in
Parliament of the Central Asian republic of Kyrgyzstan to name
an unnamed mountain in Tian-Shan range after Putin.
The former Soviet republic’s parliament today
postponed the vote on naming a mountain after the Russian
strongman, state-run RIA Novosti news agency reported, without
giving the reason for delaying the vote.
The 4,446 metres high peak in Chui Province is located
near the border with Kazakhstan.
Putin already has a street in Grozny named after him,
and a patriotic youth movement in Chechnya also bears his
name, media report said.
Earlier in 2002, Kyrgyzstan had named a 3,500 metres
mountain peak after former Russian President Boris Yeltsin
to honour him for role in deepening the friendly relations
between Moscow and Bishkek.
Its highest 7,134 meter mountain is named Lenin Peak.
Kyrgyzstan also has a mountain named after Santa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa