Pentagon denies US about to `invade` Egypt reports
Washington: The Pentagon and US Embassy in Cairo have denied reports in the Egyptian media, claiming that a US task force in the Red Sea was about to `invade Egypt`.
Earlier this week, two US ships led by the USS San Antonio, a transport platform, carrying the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the USS Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship, moved into the northern Red Sea, ABC News reports.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little took to Twitter, denying reports that the Navy`s presence meant an imminent US invasion.
At the same time, US Embassy in Cairo posted a similar statement, denying false claims in Egyptian press that US naval ships are in the vicinity of the Arabian Peninsula and the Suez Canal to militarily invade Egypt.
The embassy added that the United States has forces regularly deployed in the vicinity of the Arabian Peninsula, and USvessels regularly pass through the Suez Canal en route to the Indian Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'