Pentagon denies US about to `invade` Egypt reports
Washington: The Pentagon and US Embassy in Cairo have denied reports in the Egyptian media, claiming that a US task force in the Red Sea was about to `invade Egypt`.
Earlier this week, two US ships led by the USS San Antonio, a transport platform, carrying the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the USS Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship, moved into the northern Red Sea, ABC News reports.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little took to Twitter, denying reports that the Navy`s presence meant an imminent US invasion.
At the same time, US Embassy in Cairo posted a similar statement, denying false claims in Egyptian press that US naval ships are in the vicinity of the Arabian Peninsula and the Suez Canal to militarily invade Egypt.
The embassy added that the United States has forces regularly deployed in the vicinity of the Arabian Peninsula, and USvessels regularly pass through the Suez Canal en route to the Indian Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar