Pentagon denies US about to `invade` Egypt reports
Washington: The Pentagon and US Embassy in Cairo have denied reports in the Egyptian media, claiming that a US task force in the Red Sea was about to `invade Egypt`.
Earlier this week, two US ships led by the USS San Antonio, a transport platform, carrying the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the USS Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship, moved into the northern Red Sea, ABC News reports.
Pentagon Press Secretary George Little took to Twitter, denying reports that the Navy`s presence meant an imminent US invasion.
At the same time, US Embassy in Cairo posted a similar statement, denying false claims in Egyptian press that US naval ships are in the vicinity of the Arabian Peninsula and the Suez Canal to militarily invade Egypt.
The embassy added that the United States has forces regularly deployed in the vicinity of the Arabian Peninsula, and USvessels regularly pass through the Suez Canal en route to the Indian Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt