Pentagon seeks $526 bn for 2014
Washington: US President Barack Obama has proposed a USD 526.6 billion base budget for the country`s defence department in fiscal year 2014, as the Pentagon struggles to provide funds for its strategic rebalance to the Asia Pacific amid mandatory budget cuts.
The request keeps defence spending at about the same level as in 2013, which would pay for personnel, weapons research and development, procurement and operation and maintenance of the military.
It doesn`t include war cost in Afghanistan and mandatory budget cuts known as sequestration, which could be over USD 100 billion combined.
"This budget made important investments in the president`s new strategic guidance -- including rebalancing to the Asia-Pacific region and increasing funding for critical capabilities such as cyber, special operations, and global mobility," said Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- Demand to ban advertisements on fairness creams in RS
- Migaloo sighting alert! White humpback whale spotted off Australia's Byron Bay (See pic)
- 'Iron Lady' Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast on August 9, contest elections in Manipur