Pentagon sending trainers back into Yemen
Washington: The Pentagon is sending military trainers back into Yemen for what it calls "routine" cooperation with Yemeni security forces.
A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt John Kirby, said today that "small numbers" of US trainers have returned to Yemen recently. He would not be more specific about the number or when they arrived there.
Yemen is a key battleground in the conflict with al-Qaeda. It has been a launching pad for attacks against the United States by the Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.
A US military training program in Yemen was suspended last year after then-President Ali Abdullah Saleh was badly injured in a militant attack.
The new president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, has requested increased US counterterrorist cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’