Pentagon sending trainers back into Yemen
Washington: The Pentagon is sending military trainers back into Yemen for what it calls "routine" cooperation with Yemeni security forces.
A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt John Kirby, said today that "small numbers" of US trainers have returned to Yemen recently. He would not be more specific about the number or when they arrived there.
Yemen is a key battleground in the conflict with al-Qaeda. It has been a launching pad for attacks against the United States by the Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.
A US military training program in Yemen was suspended last year after then-President Ali Abdullah Saleh was badly injured in a militant attack.
The new president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, has requested increased US counterterrorist cooperation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Srinagar records season's hottest day, heat wave on in Jammu
- Attack on union ministers is 'panic reaction' of BJD: Manohar Parrikar
- Arvind Kejriwal pushing Delhi into constitutional crisis: Delhi BJP
- India set to get MTCR membership, NSG option remains open: MEA
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia