Pentagon to keep Gen. John Allen `affair` probe a secret
Washington: The Pentagon has decided to keep secret the details of its investigation into Marine Gen. John R Allen, the former commander of US troops in Afghanistan, citing privacy concerns.
According to The Washington Post, the Defense Department Office of the Inspector General formally denied a request from the newspaper, filed under the Freedom of Information Act, to disclose records of its probe into Allen`s relationship with Jill Kelley, a Tampa socialite with whom he exchanged thousands of pages of e-mails and other documents.
Defense Department officials said requests made by several other media organizations had also been rejected.
Allen announced last week that he would retire from the military, turning down an offer from President Barack Obama to become NATO`s supreme military commander for Europe. Allen said he wanted to spend more time with his ailing wife after a 37-year career in the armed forces, including the last 19 months as commander in Afghanistan.
The e-mails came to light during an FBI investigation into other Kelley e-mails that revealed that former David H. Petraeus had an extramarital affair with his biographer. Petraeus resigned as CIA director in November.
The Pentagon inspector general`s office cleared Allen of wrongdoing last month after conducting an investigation at the request of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Bridget Serchak, a spokeswoman for the inspector general`s office, said the agency generally does not release reports of probes into senior Pentagon officials unless investigators find evidence of misconduct.
Even then, the agency releases its findings only if requested to do so under the Freedom of Information Act, a process that can take months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say