Pentagon to keep Gen. John Allen `affair` probe a secret
Washington: The Pentagon has decided to keep secret the details of its investigation into Marine Gen. John R Allen, the former commander of US troops in Afghanistan, citing privacy concerns.
According to The Washington Post, the Defense Department Office of the Inspector General formally denied a request from the newspaper, filed under the Freedom of Information Act, to disclose records of its probe into Allen`s relationship with Jill Kelley, a Tampa socialite with whom he exchanged thousands of pages of e-mails and other documents.
Defense Department officials said requests made by several other media organizations had also been rejected.
Allen announced last week that he would retire from the military, turning down an offer from President Barack Obama to become NATO`s supreme military commander for Europe. Allen said he wanted to spend more time with his ailing wife after a 37-year career in the armed forces, including the last 19 months as commander in Afghanistan.
The e-mails came to light during an FBI investigation into other Kelley e-mails that revealed that former David H. Petraeus had an extramarital affair with his biographer. Petraeus resigned as CIA director in November.
The Pentagon inspector general`s office cleared Allen of wrongdoing last month after conducting an investigation at the request of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
Bridget Serchak, a spokeswoman for the inspector general`s office, said the agency generally does not release reports of probes into senior Pentagon officials unless investigators find evidence of misconduct.
Even then, the agency releases its findings only if requested to do so under the Freedom of Information Act, a process that can take months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC