Peru extradites runaway ex-judge to Israel
Jerusalem: A former Israeli judge who fled to Peru after allegedly receiving bribes had to return to his native country finally, after Peruvian authorities decided to extradite him.
According to the Israeli justice ministry, former district court judge Dan Cohen later served as a director in the Israeli Electricity Corporation, where he is suspected to have received $2.8 million in bribes, Xinhua reported.
As allegations began surfacing against him, Cohen left Israel in 2005 and headed to Peru, with which Israel does not sustain an extradition agreement.
Israeli authorities indicted Cohen in absentia in 2009.
Following the Israeli indictment, a local Peruvian court decided that Cohen should be turned over to Israel. However, the then Peruvian president Alan Garcia Perez ignored the decision.
But the new government decided to comply with the court`s decree and Cohen was put on a flight Saturday back to Tel Aviv.
After landing, Cohen was taken into custody by Israeli police and transferred to a detention facility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi