Peru: Fujimori to have tongue surgery
Lima: Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori`s chief doctor says he has been hospitalised for surgery to correct lesions on his tongue.
Dr Alejandro Aguinaga said that Fujimori entered a hospital on Sunday. It will be the fourth time since 1997 that he has undergone such an operation.
Aguinaga says the procedure is scheduled for Monday morning.
The 71-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year jail sentence for killings and kidnappings by security forces during his presidency.
Fujimori ruled Peru with an increasingly iron fist from 1990 until 2000, when his government collapsed amid a bribery scandal.
In 2005, he left exile in Japan and travelled to Chile, where he was arrested and extradited to Peru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors