Peru: Fujimori to have tongue surgery
Lima: Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori`s chief doctor says he has been hospitalised for surgery to correct lesions on his tongue.
Dr Alejandro Aguinaga said that Fujimori entered a hospital on Sunday. It will be the fourth time since 1997 that he has undergone such an operation.
Aguinaga says the procedure is scheduled for Monday morning.
The 71-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year jail sentence for killings and kidnappings by security forces during his presidency.
Fujimori ruled Peru with an increasingly iron fist from 1990 until 2000, when his government collapsed amid a bribery scandal.
In 2005, he left exile in Japan and travelled to Chile, where he was arrested and extradited to Peru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- India gets top rating for prudent financial market norms
- RBI to remain open to facilitate transactions on July 1
- Rain plays havoc in Mumbai; heavy showers predicted for another week
- Anil Kumble dismisses having conflict of interest in becoming coach
- Air India to fly unconfirmed first AC passengers of Rajdhani