Peru: Fujimori to have tongue surgery
Lima: Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori`s chief doctor says he has been hospitalised for surgery to correct lesions on his tongue.
Dr Alejandro Aguinaga said that Fujimori entered a hospital on Sunday. It will be the fourth time since 1997 that he has undergone such an operation.
Aguinaga says the procedure is scheduled for Monday morning.
The 71-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year jail sentence for killings and kidnappings by security forces during his presidency.
Fujimori ruled Peru with an increasingly iron fist from 1990 until 2000, when his government collapsed amid a bribery scandal.
In 2005, he left exile in Japan and travelled to Chile, where he was arrested and extradited to Peru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!