Peru: Fujimori to have tongue surgery
Lima: Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori`s chief doctor says he has been hospitalised for surgery to correct lesions on his tongue.
Dr Alejandro Aguinaga said that Fujimori entered a hospital on Sunday. It will be the fourth time since 1997 that he has undergone such an operation.
Aguinaga says the procedure is scheduled for Monday morning.
The 71-year-old former leader is serving a 25-year jail sentence for killings and kidnappings by security forces during his presidency.
Fujimori ruled Peru with an increasingly iron fist from 1990 until 2000, when his government collapsed amid a bribery scandal.
In 2005, he left exile in Japan and travelled to Chile, where he was arrested and extradited to Peru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre