Peru quake destroys 134 homes, injures dozens
Lima: Peruvian authorities said that 134
homes were destroyed and 103 people treated at hospitals for
injuries during a 6.9-magnitude quake just off the central
Civil defense chief Alfredo Murgueytio said yesterday there were no deaths and most of
the collapsed homes were of adobe.
Two adobe churches also were seriously damaged, including
the 18th century cathedral of the provincial capital of Ica.
The cathedral, build by Jesuits, already was weakened by
a 2007 earthquake as well as temblors in 1813 and 1942. Both
it and another church in Ica were too damaged to safely enter,
said Alberto Bisbal, a top civil defense official.
President Ollanta Humana said he was cutting short his
stay in Paraguay for the IberoAmerican summit to head directly
to the quake zone, where nearly 600 people were killed in an
8.0-magnitude quake in August 2007.
Friday`s quake sent people running panicked into the
streets in cities that were badly damaged then.
Authorities said many people slept outside Friday night.
"The people are tense and a lot of us didn`t sleep," said
Cristhian Rodriguez, a vendor in Pisco, which was mostly
leveled in the 2007 quake.
Murgueytio said two army engineering battalions were
joining police in supporting residents who lost homes or
otherwise had property damage. He estimated the number at
At least nine aftershocks followed the Friday quake. The
most significant had a 5.5 magnitude, as measured by the US
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested