Peru quake destroys 134 homes, injures dozens
Lima: Peruvian authorities said that 134
homes were destroyed and 103 people treated at hospitals for
injuries during a 6.9-magnitude quake just off the central
Civil defense chief Alfredo Murgueytio said yesterday there were no deaths and most of
the collapsed homes were of adobe.
Two adobe churches also were seriously damaged, including
the 18th century cathedral of the provincial capital of Ica.
The cathedral, build by Jesuits, already was weakened by
a 2007 earthquake as well as temblors in 1813 and 1942. Both
it and another church in Ica were too damaged to safely enter,
said Alberto Bisbal, a top civil defense official.
President Ollanta Humana said he was cutting short his
stay in Paraguay for the IberoAmerican summit to head directly
to the quake zone, where nearly 600 people were killed in an
8.0-magnitude quake in August 2007.
Friday`s quake sent people running panicked into the
streets in cities that were badly damaged then.
Authorities said many people slept outside Friday night.
"The people are tense and a lot of us didn`t sleep," said
Cristhian Rodriguez, a vendor in Pisco, which was mostly
leveled in the 2007 quake.
Murgueytio said two army engineering battalions were
joining police in supporting residents who lost homes or
otherwise had property damage. He estimated the number at
At least nine aftershocks followed the Friday quake. The
most significant had a 5.5 magnitude, as measured by the US
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Sunita Williams, team to ensure safe cargo flights to ISS
- West Bengal polls: Bhawanipur to witness star-studded electoral battle
- Grenade attack on police post in J&K's Anantnag, security tightened
- World Immunisation Week: Narendra Modi government proactive, Mission Indradhanush good initiative - Praises from Gavi CEO
- Kareena Kapoor Khan, Amrita Arora's boxing session will give you fitness goals! – See pictures