Peru`s Alberto Fujimori hospitalised for cancer
Lima: Former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori, who is serving a 25-year jail term for corruption and rights abuses, was hospitalised due to a relapse in his tongue cancer, his doctor said.
"He will be hospitalised for three days to undergo a series of evaluations because his tongue is bleeding in an area where the lesion is cancerous," family doctor Alejandro Aguinaga told reporters.
The former president, father of losing presidential candidate Keiko Fujimori, had been bleeding for three weeks but "refused to go to hospital”, the doctor said.
"But we have seen his health fail. He was showing discomfort in the affected area and has lost weight, so we brought him to the hospital."
Fujimori, whose human rights charges are related to a 1990s crackdown on leftist guerrillas, was transferred to the National Institute of Neoplastic Diseases under tight security just four days after his daughter lost a presidential runoff against leftist Ollanta Humala.
In February, Fujimori underwent his fourth tongue cancer surgery in 14 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof