Peru`s President inaugurates giant Christ statue
Lima: Peruvian President Alan Garcia has inaugurated a giant statue of Jesus similar to Rio de Janeiro`s iconic Christ the Redeemer despite opposition from the mayor of Peru`s capital.
"Christ of the Pacific" is 72 feet (22 meters) high and stands atop a 49-foot (15-meter) concrete base. It overlooks the Pacific Ocean from Lima.
With a Bible in his hand, Garcia inaugurated the work on Wednesday, saying: "Lord Jesus Christ protect Peru on its path to harmony, pardon and reconciliation."
The statue of Jesus with his arms spread has been criticised for its lack of originality. Lima Mayor Susana Villaran has said there are other places it could go besides her city.
The statue was donated by the Brazilian company Odebrecht.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note