Petition launched against new 'non-veg' UK currency
London: More than 12,000 people signed a petition today demanding the withdrawal of Britain's newly- issued plastic five-pound banknotes that are manufactured using animal fat.
Vegans and vegetarians have expressed outrage at the use of tallow, a substance derived from animal fat and used in candles and soaps, in the currency notes.
The petition, titled - "Remove tallow from bank notes" - will be delivered to the Bank of England once it hits 15,000 signatures.
It reads, "The new 5-pound notes contain animal fat in the form of tallow. This is unacceptable to millions of vegans & vegetarians in the UK. We demand that you cease to use animal products in the production of currency that we have to use".
The new notes with an image of Britain's war-time Prime Minister Winston Churchill became legal tender in September.
The production process was revealed on Twitter in response to a question.
"There is a trace of tallow in the polymer pellets used in the base substrate of the polymer 5-pound notes," Bank of England had tweeted.
The new polymer five-pound note?is the first of the?Bank of England's notes not to be printed on paper.
The new flexible plastic notes are designed to be cleaner, more secure and stronger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened