PETN bombs had explosives to blow up 50 jets: Experts
London: Ink cartridges turned into powerful
bombs by suspected al Qaeda militants contained ample
explosives to blow up 50 jets, according to experts.
"Had even one of the powerful devices gone off, it would
have ripped an aircraft in half," British Home Secretary
Theresa May was quoted as saying by the tabloid `The Sun`.
May confirmed that the murderous capability of al Qaeda`s
latest weapons confirmed that fanatics in Yemen, who hatched
the plot were planning fresh strikes in US and Europe.
Sun quoting British forensic experts said 300g of the
powerful substance PETN was found in one of the bombs hidden
in a computer printer cartridge and the other bomb had even
more lethal potency of 400g.
Hans Michels, Professor of Safety Engineering at
University College London told the paper that just 6g - around
50 times less than was used - would be enough to blast a hole
in metal plate twice the thickness of an aircraft`s skin.
"That amount of PETN could do a whole lot of damage. It
could destroy a house, blown a hole in the side of the ship
and if it had been close to the wall of the aeroplane, it
would definitely destroy it," Michels said.
PETN (pentaerythritol tetranitrate), which he said was
the weapon of choice for attacks by al Qaeda and was also used
in previous unsuccessful attempt to bring down a passenger
liner over Detroit, last Christmas.
The Nigerian bomber, Umar Farouk had used only 80g in his
pants, while the prime suspect Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri`s
brother had also used PETN to assassinate a Saudi minister.
Though the British experts have discovered how the bombs
were to be set off, no details have emerged of the detonators.
The team at the government`s Fort Halstead research
complex based in Kent is also trying to work out the planned
timing of any blasts, to identify the targets.
As security agencies piece together the potency of the
mailed explosives, US officials have said that the mailed
devices may have been targeted to blow up aircraft rather than
A source said: "It would appear from the evidence so far
that the terrorists wanted the devices to be in the air for as
long as possible. We believe that may be one reason why the
packages were addressed to Chicago - because of the length of
flight times involved."
"Now we are trying to work out whether al Qaeda wanted
the bombs to explode when the aircraft were over the Atlantic
or over land. If the planes plunged into the sea, it would
have been deduced a terrorist attack - but finding the precise
cause would have been almost impossible."
The source further added that work is going on to figure
out how long it would have taken before devices would have
gone off after take-off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah