Petraeus’ ‘other woman’ Kelley dropped as ‘honorary consul’ of South Korea
Seoul: South Korea has said that it is dismissing Jill Kelley, the US woman at the heart of the scandal that ensnared CIA director General David Petraeus, from her post as an ‘honorary consul’.
“We`’re following the necessary procedures for relieving her from the post as it`s not suitable for her to carry out her duties because of the scandal,” a foreign ministry official said.
Kelley, the 37-year-old Tampa woman who organised events for US military officers, was appointed as an honorary consul in August following a recommendation from the South Korean Embassy in the United States.
According to the Herald Sun, Kelley had complained that she was receiving threatening emails, which triggered the FBI inquiry that uncovered Petraeus’ affair with his biographer, 40-year-old military reservist Paula Broadwell.
Investigators traced the mails to an anonymous account run by Broadwell, and found sexually-explicit messages from Petraeus.
During a visit to Washington on Monday, South Korean Deputy Foreign Minister Kim Kyou-Hyun suggested Kelley had abused the ‘trust placed in her’.
"It`s not suitable to the status of honorary consul that (she) sought to be involved in commercial projects and peddle influence," Kim said.
South Korea has 15 honorary consuls in the United States.
Their mission is to help promote South Korea-US relations and protect the rights of Korean-Americans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'