Phailin brings abundant water in holy Falgu river in Gaya
Gaya: Cyclone Phailin which triggered heavy rainfall in neighbouring Jharkhand, has proved a boon for the famous religious town of Gaya in Bihar filling the otherwise dry Falgu river with abundant flow.
"Water was overflowing in Falgu river known for observance of "Pitra Paksha" (ritual for salvation of ancestors), a scene witnessed after almost five years," Suresh Narayan Singh, a social activist said.
Director Bihar Meteorology R K Giri told PTI today that the excess water in Falgu river was due to downpour in neighbouring Jharkhand caused by Phailin.
Besides, the running water from mountains from nearby Hazaribagh and Chatra in Jharkhand also has brought abundant water in the river which otherwise remains dry, Giri said.
Singh, who performed `pind daan` here of Delhi gangrape victim and that of Sarabjit Singh, Indian prisoner who died in Pakistan jail, said the water flow had washed away the dirt accumulated during the Pitra Paksha rites that ended in the first week of October.
Falgu river which flows past Gaya in Bihar, is a sacred river for Hindus.
There is reference to the city of Gaya and the Falgu in the Ramayana.
Mythology states that following a curse, the Falgu lost its water, and the river is simply a vast stretch of sand dunes.
According to folklore, in the absence of Rama, his wife Sita offered `pinda` on its banks to Dasharatha, father of Rama,which invited this curse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday
- No water for OP Jaisha: Here's what Virat Kohli's former coach Rajkumar Sharma has to say about it