Philippine bus falls in creek; 5 dead, 49 injured
Manila: A passenger bus plunged into a creek
in a mountainous region southeast of the Philippine capital
early on Sunday, killing five people and injuring 49.
Police and firefighters struggled in the dark for several
hours as they pulled the dead and injured from the overturned
bus at the bottom of the creek in Quezon province`s Pagbilao
township, police said.
The bus lost its brakes and plummeted into the creek
while most passengers slept midway through a night trip from
central Tacloban city to Quezon city in the capital, according
to Quezon provincial police chief Senior Superintendent
Poorly maintained vehicles and roads, along with
inadequate safety signs, drivers` lack of training and weak
traffic law enforcement are blamed for many deadly accidents
in the Philippines.
In the worst accident in recent years, 41 people died
when their bus fell into a deep ravine while negotiating a
downhill curve in the country`s mountainous north on Aug 18.
Three days later, an ex-Philippine beauty queen was
killed along with two others when their car collided with a
passenger bus in Bula township northeast of Manila.
Last July, 15 people died when their bus slammed into a
concrete barrier in central Cebu province. A month earlier, a
bus rented by Iranian medical students fell into a ravine near
Cebu city, killing 21 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH