Philippine bus falls in creek; 5 dead, 49 injured
Manila: A passenger bus plunged into a creek
in a mountainous region southeast of the Philippine capital
early on Sunday, killing five people and injuring 49.
Police and firefighters struggled in the dark for several
hours as they pulled the dead and injured from the overturned
bus at the bottom of the creek in Quezon province`s Pagbilao
township, police said.
The bus lost its brakes and plummeted into the creek
while most passengers slept midway through a night trip from
central Tacloban city to Quezon city in the capital, according
to Quezon provincial police chief Senior Superintendent
Poorly maintained vehicles and roads, along with
inadequate safety signs, drivers` lack of training and weak
traffic law enforcement are blamed for many deadly accidents
in the Philippines.
In the worst accident in recent years, 41 people died
when their bus fell into a deep ravine while negotiating a
downhill curve in the country`s mountainous north on Aug 18.
Three days later, an ex-Philippine beauty queen was
killed along with two others when their car collided with a
passenger bus in Bula township northeast of Manila.
Last July, 15 people died when their bus slammed into a
concrete barrier in central Cebu province. A month earlier, a
bus rented by Iranian medical students fell into a ravine near
Cebu city, killing 21 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself