Philippine fireworks, revelry gunfire injure 200
Manila: A Philippine official says more than
200 people have been injured by illegally huge firecrackers
and celebratory gunfire despite a government scare campaign
against reckless holiday revelries.
Health Assistant Secretary Enrique Tayag said on Saturday that
most of those hurt were children. Stray bullets wounded eight
people and 197 were injured by powerful firecrackers from Dec
Officials fear the number of injuries may rise as
superstitious Filipinos bid goodbye to a year of natural
disasters and economic uncertainties.
Desperate to halt the violent tradition, officials have
warned revellers they risk amputations if they are hurt
lighting up huge firecrackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof