Philippine flash flood kills 17 children
Manila: At least 17 children and infants were
among 30 people killed after a towering flash flood hit one of
the Philippines` largest provincial centres, the government
The victims were swept away after the Pangi river in the
southern city of Davao burst its banks on the night of June
28, said the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management
At one point during the night, some parts of the city of
1.15 million people were under a record 10 feet (three metres)
of water, the government agency added.
Though the floods subsided by the next day, a baby boy
remains missing, according to the latest updated tally.
Davao and nearby areas of the southern island of Mindanao
saw heavier-than-usual rains in the past month, climatologists
Widespread flooding lasting several weeks also killed 12
people around the Mindanao city of Cotabato earlier in June,
while a series of storms in the country`s north killed 48
other people in May and June, the council said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics