Philippine holiday firecracker injuries total 546
Manila: Powerful firecrackers have injured at least 546 people as Filipinos welcomed the New Year in a tradition that is among the world`s most festive and dangerous.
Officials said on Saturday that the 546 injuries from firecracker blasts and celebratory gunfire from December 21 to early Saturday were higher than the same period the previous year.
Many Filipinos, largely influenced by Chinese tradition, believe that noisy New Year`s celebrations drive away evil and misfortune. But they have carried that superstition to extremes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources