Philippine holiday firecracker injuries total 546
Manila: Powerful firecrackers have injured at least 546 people as Filipinos welcomed the New Year in a tradition that is among the world`s most festive and dangerous.
Officials said on Saturday that the 546 injuries from firecracker blasts and celebratory gunfire from December 21 to early Saturday were higher than the same period the previous year.
Many Filipinos, largely influenced by Chinese tradition, believe that noisy New Year`s celebrations drive away evil and misfortune. But they have carried that superstition to extremes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog