Philippine holiday firecracker injuries total 546
Manila: Powerful firecrackers have injured at least 546 people as Filipinos welcomed the New Year in a tradition that is among the world`s most festive and dangerous.
Officials said on Saturday that the 546 injuries from firecracker blasts and celebratory gunfire from December 21 to early Saturday were higher than the same period the previous year.
Many Filipinos, largely influenced by Chinese tradition, believe that noisy New Year`s celebrations drive away evil and misfortune. But they have carried that superstition to extremes.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- UN chief slams `increasingly restrictive` EU refugee policies
- Mexican soldiers, police to face torture trial
- Will NEET be conducted this year for medical courses? Supreme Court to pronounce order at 3.30 pm
- LG Electronics posts 415% increase in Q1 profit
- Apple to open its stores in India as govt panel waves 30% local sourcing condition