Philippine police capture two Abu Sayyaf militants
Zamboanga (Philippines): Philippine
police said on Thursday they had captured two members of the Al
Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group wanted for high-profile
kidnappings and a deadly ambush that killed 14 soldiers.
Jamiri Hashi and Adjik Halik were caught yesterday in
Zamboanga, a port city in the restive southern Mindanao region
where the militants operate, regional police commander Chief
Superintendent Angelo Sunglao said.
The government had offered a USD 13,000 bounty for the
capture of Jamiri, who is among those sought for the ambush of
14 marines by Abu Sayyaf on the nearby island of Basilan in
July 2007. The militant group mutilated and beheaded the
"Jamiri is facing a string of charges for multiple
murder," Sunglao said.
Halik was wanted for taking part in the kidnapping of
21 mostly European hostages in an Abu Sayyaf cross-border raid
into a dive resort off Sabah in 2001.
All of the hostages were later freed in batches after
several months following alleged ransom payments.
Both men are scheduled to be flown to a jail in
Manila, where they will be tried, Sunglao said.
The Abu Sayyaf is a small gang of self-styled Islamic
militants blamed for the country`s worst terrorist attacks,
including the bombing of a passenger ferry that killed more
than 100 people in Manila Bay in 2004.
The group is on the US government`s list of foreign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar