Philippine police kill alleged Malaysian terrorist
Manila: Philippine police have killed a suspected Malaysian terrorist who allegedly was planning a bomb attack in one of the largest cities in the country`s south, police said on Saturday.
The suspected terrorist, identified as Mohd Noor Fikrie Bin Abud Kahar, was fatally shot by police late yesterday following a scuffle inside a hotel where he and his Filipino wife had checked in, Davao city police chief Ronald de la Rosa said.
De la Rosa said that as the couple was checking out, the man tried to grab from his wife a backpack containing a homemade bomb. Officers tried to seize the man, who broke free and threatened to detonate the device.
"You want the bomb? You want the bomb? Shoot me! Shoot me! I will explode the bomb," de la Rosa quoted the man as saying. This prompted officers and people in the hotel lobby to scamper out for safety, the police chief said.
The man and his wife then ran into the street, where they hugged each other as the man raised a cellphone, threatening to use it to trigger the bomb, de la Rosa said.
The man grabbed the backpack from his wife and ran toward a park full of Friday night revellers, leaving the woman, who was taken into custody by police, de la Rosa told The Associated Press by telephone from Davao, about 980 kilometres (612 miles) south of Manila, the capital.
Alert guards locked the park`s gate, and the man, still raising his hand that held the cellphone, ran into a packed restaurant, where a sniper shot him twice in the chest. The man did not immediately fall, so other officers fired at him and killed him, de la Rosa said.
The bomb, which was subsequently defused, was fashioned from a mortar shell, he said.
He said intelligence reports indicated terrorists planned to explode a bomb in Davao, a bustling port city and a regional commercial hub on the main southern island of Mindanao.
Officers were led by intelligence agents yesterday to the hotel where the couple was staying, de la Rosa said, adding that the agents had received a tip from a "very reliable source."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal