Philippine President meets Muslim rebel chief
Manila: Officials say Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has met with the chief of the country`s main Muslim separatist rebel group to boost peace negotiations.
Presidential peace adviser Teresita Deles said in a press statement the meeting late Thursday between Aquino and Al Haj Murad Ibrahim of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front took place in Tokyo, where they discussed approaches to push the peace process forward.
An official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not directly involved in the talks says the meeting was meant to give the peace talks "a shot in the arm" and show support from the "highest level."
The rebels have waged a bloody insurgency for self-rule in southern Mindanao region, homeland of minority Muslims in the predominantly Roman Catholic Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video