Philippine President meets Muslim rebel chief
Manila: Officials say Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has met with the chief of the country`s main Muslim separatist rebel group to boost peace negotiations.
Presidential peace adviser Teresita Deles said in a press statement the meeting late Thursday between Aquino and Al Haj Murad Ibrahim of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front took place in Tokyo, where they discussed approaches to push the peace process forward.
An official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not directly involved in the talks says the meeting was meant to give the peace talks "a shot in the arm" and show support from the "highest level."
The rebels have waged a bloody insurgency for self-rule in southern Mindanao region, homeland of minority Muslims in the predominantly Roman Catholic Philippines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!