Philippine Prez raises rewards for fugitive ex-general, former Guv
Manila: Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has doubled the reward for information leading to the arrest of an ex-general charged with kidnapping.
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said today that Aquino is "displeased with the lack of progress in arresting high-profile fugitives," including retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan.
Palparan has been on the run since he was charged in December with kidnapping two female left-wing activists in 2006. The students remain missing. The bounty now stands at USD 47,100.
US-based Human Rights Watch says Palparan is allegedly being protected by some military personnel and businessmen who benefited from his heavy-handed suppression of the 43-year-old communist insurgency.
Lacierda said Aquino also raised the bounty for a former provincial governor, Joel Reyes. He is accused in the killing of an environmental activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!