Philippine Prez raises rewards for fugitive ex-general, former Guv
Manila: Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has doubled the reward for information leading to the arrest of an ex-general charged with kidnapping.
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said today that Aquino is "displeased with the lack of progress in arresting high-profile fugitives," including retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan.
Palparan has been on the run since he was charged in December with kidnapping two female left-wing activists in 2006. The students remain missing. The bounty now stands at USD 47,100.
US-based Human Rights Watch says Palparan is allegedly being protected by some military personnel and businessmen who benefited from his heavy-handed suppression of the 43-year-old communist insurgency.
Lacierda said Aquino also raised the bounty for a former provincial governor, Joel Reyes. He is accused in the killing of an environmental activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone beats Kangana Ranaut? Here’s how
- India's most beloved tiger 'Jai' untraceable even after 3 months
- Turkish military promotes 99 colonels in shake-up, top brass little changed
- Bank strike hits operations; branches open full day tomorrow
- Here's how Harbhajan Singh's cricket buddies wished him on becoming a father