Philippine Prez raises rewards for fugitive ex-general, former Guv
Manila: Philippine President Benigno Aquino III has doubled the reward for information leading to the arrest of an ex-general charged with kidnapping.
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said today that Aquino is "displeased with the lack of progress in arresting high-profile fugitives," including retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan.
Palparan has been on the run since he was charged in December with kidnapping two female left-wing activists in 2006. The students remain missing. The bounty now stands at USD 47,100.
US-based Human Rights Watch says Palparan is allegedly being protected by some military personnel and businessmen who benefited from his heavy-handed suppression of the 43-year-old communist insurgency.
Lacierda said Aquino also raised the bounty for a former provincial governor, Joel Reyes. He is accused in the killing of an environmental activist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket