Philippine quake death toll rises to 172
Tagbilaran: The death toll from a 7.1-magnitude earthquake that struck the central Philippines rose to 172 on Friday as authorities warned it would probably climb even higher.
The tourist island of Bohol, which was the epicentre of Tuesday`s quake, suffered the most with 160 people dead, the civil defence office for the region said.
Twelve others were killed on other central islands.
Bohol police commander Senior Superintendent Dennis Agustin said 22 people were missing on the island, including five children who were playing by a waterfall when the quake hit.
It was unlikely many of them would be found alive, he warned.
"It looks doubtful. This is the fourth day since the quake. It is an extreme possibility they will be recovered alive," he said.
"Some are believed buried under landslides, some are under fallen structures. We will likely get more reports of deaths," he told a news agency.
Bohol, an island of about a million people around 600 kilometres (370 miles) from Manila, is known for its beaches, its rolling "Chocolate Hills" and tiny tarsier primates.
It suffered huge landslides, fallen bridges, shattered roads and collapsed structures during the quake.
Government and aid groups have been rushing to deliver assistance to the affected areas, but travel has been hampered by the bridges and roads that have been rendered impassable by the quake.
Many Bohol residents have been living in tents fearing the many aftershocks could cause their homes to collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH