Philippine quake death toll rises to 172
Tagbilaran: The death toll from a 7.1-magnitude earthquake that struck the central Philippines rose to 172 on Friday as authorities warned it would probably climb even higher.
The tourist island of Bohol, which was the epicentre of Tuesday`s quake, suffered the most with 160 people dead, the civil defence office for the region said.
Twelve others were killed on other central islands.
Bohol police commander Senior Superintendent Dennis Agustin said 22 people were missing on the island, including five children who were playing by a waterfall when the quake hit.
It was unlikely many of them would be found alive, he warned.
"It looks doubtful. This is the fourth day since the quake. It is an extreme possibility they will be recovered alive," he said.
"Some are believed buried under landslides, some are under fallen structures. We will likely get more reports of deaths," he told a news agency.
Bohol, an island of about a million people around 600 kilometres (370 miles) from Manila, is known for its beaches, its rolling "Chocolate Hills" and tiny tarsier primates.
It suffered huge landslides, fallen bridges, shattered roads and collapsed structures during the quake.
Government and aid groups have been rushing to deliver assistance to the affected areas, but travel has been hampered by the bridges and roads that have been rendered impassable by the quake.
Many Bohol residents have been living in tents fearing the many aftershocks could cause their homes to collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea