Philippine rebels free comrade, abduct 4 guards
Manila: Philippine officials say communist rebels have attacked a prison van transporting detainees, freeing a comrade and taking four prison guards hostage.
Army spokesman Maj Eugenio Osias says a large group of New People`s Army rebels blocked the van`s path before dawn on Thursday in southern Bukidnon province. He says the rebels overpowered the 10 guards and were able to free a detained rebel.
He says they took four guards hostage, but left the others behind. Also left behind were seven other prisoners.
He says police and soldiers are tracking down the rebels.
The government and the rebels resumed talks in February to end one of Asia`s longest-running Marxist rebellions, but clashes have continued in the countryside.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?