Philippine rebels free comrade, abduct 4 guards
Manila: Philippine officials say communist rebels have attacked a prison van transporting detainees, freeing a comrade and taking four prison guards hostage.
Army spokesman Maj Eugenio Osias says a large group of New People`s Army rebels blocked the van`s path before dawn on Thursday in southern Bukidnon province. He says the rebels overpowered the 10 guards and were able to free a detained rebel.
He says they took four guards hostage, but left the others behind. Also left behind were seven other prisoners.
He says police and soldiers are tracking down the rebels.
The government and the rebels resumed talks in February to end one of Asia`s longest-running Marxist rebellions, but clashes have continued in the countryside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred